As we mentioned in our previous post, May is National Water Safety Month! That means it’s a great time to brush up on your water safety knowledge, especially if you own or are considering building a pool.
Adding a pool to your Boston home can be extremely rewarding, providing a great opportunity for exercise, having fun with your kids, entertaining, and more. However, it’s important to create a pool space that is as safe as possible. Fortunately there are plenty of online sites to help you learn about pool safety and design, like The Pool Safety Resource.
The Pool Safety Resource has some great tips for designing a safe backyard that includes a pool. Here are some of the most important ones to remember.
- Make sure that your yard is designed in such a way that kids can get to the yard without having to walk through the pool area.
- Think about where each area will be located in relation to the pool, ie the grill/outdoor kitchen, dining space, lounge area, play space, etc. How will the location of these spaces affect your ability to keep an eye on your children or grandchildren? Be sure to include a space where you can comfortably watch the kids play in the pool.
- Consider the distance from water level to edge of the pool. If the distance is over 6″, it may be too hard for a small child to reach up and grab.
- A high wall or series of terraced retaining walls can make a great visual statement along the back of a pool, but can also present a safety challenge. Building in shelves or “swim outs” along that side will provide a space where a tired swimmer could stop and rest, even if the edge of the pool is out of their grasp.
- Incorporating special features is not just an aesthetic concern; it can actually help improve safety! For instance, beach entrances are great for introducing little kids to water. Using different colored tile or mosaic elements can help define which areas your child should swim in. For instance, “Don’t swim past the blue tiles” or “Only dive past the turtle!”
No matter style you are going for with your pool, Triad Associates can help you make it both safe and attractive. Contact us today to learn more about our Boston pool repair and construction services!